Sunday, November 27, 2011

ilRazzo comes home. The tear-down begins!

Well, today I managed to get all the boxes in the garage stowed away and so there was finally room enough for the bike to come home from its temporary stopover at the mother-in-law's shed.

Happy to be coming home

The bike had been hiding under a cover and was very happy to be out of there. I loaded it onto the trailer and drove home, where I introduced it to its new room mate, my 2009 Suzuki Bandit.

As it was already late in the afternoon, there was no time to stand on ceremony and it was straight into the tear-down.

New mates sniffing bums
Off came the tank. As well as the new paint, this will need a bit of work as there is a small dent from LHS clip-on and also the removal of my son's intitials that he so lovingly carved into it with a Stanley knife (box cutter)... hmmmm

Initials, courtesy of a loving son
After that, I removed fairing, battery (now on charger), fork brace, carbs, exhaust system, foot pegs and hangers. I am also taking many pics to assist in the re-assembly and to insure against short term memory loss and brain farts!

Some parts will not be going back on of course, with the fairing, lights, and footpegs just to name a few. I have secured a neat set of rear sets from a generous bloke named Colvin, a contact on the AIGOR (Australian Internet Guzzi Owners Register) mailing list. This is a great mob of Guzzi enthusiasts and I highly recommend a visit and sign-on, especially if you reside in Australia or NZ.

Menani Rear Sets
The Lafranconi Competizione mufflers have definately seen better days, both have a small hole on the inside near the end. Looks like I will be in the market for a replacement setup. Maybe chromed headers and mufflers would be the go? Will have to think about it.

Anyhoo, not a bad start made today. Enthusiasm levels are at an all time high, so let the tear-down continue!


Mufflers have seen better days

At the end of the day














Who's a happy boy!

4 comments:

  1. haven't seen those rear-sets before - nice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Brad
    I'm in the Southern Highlands NSW and have recently bought a Le Mans III. thankfully no-one etched the tank with their initials. I belong to the Bundanoon Bike Club, an enthusiastic bunch of guys and girls riding very different bikes, modern to old. Couple of Moto Guzzi enthusiasts and one other M.G owner.

    My one has the Lafranconi (looks like the Agostini) full fairing. If ever you are my way you can contact me via the AIGOR list. All the best on the rebuild. Same applies to other Guzzi owners

    Lindon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lindon. I was down your way a few weeks ago, during our SnowyRide trip. I am in the middle of doing the write up on my other blog for that one. You got smoe nice roads in your back yard mate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing wrong with those Lafranconis!! A good clean up and some black stove stuff and they'll soon be scaring the neighbours..

    ReplyDelete