Saturday, March 3, 2012

Back on Track

Well after a short hiatus over Christmas and New Year, I hit a snag with suspension of my licence due to a slight over-exuberance 50km south of Thredbo... major detune!! Anyhoo, we are back on track now and doing preparation work for finishing of frame and associated bits.

The associate bits


I had a great visit from well-known Guzzi enthusiast Brett Rosenthal, who had been working on a set of (more triangular looking) side covers for the project. He also brought over his special tool for pulling the lower bearing off the triple tree. Worked a treat! Thanks Brett for the help and the mountain of other advice you have provided.

Brett on the job

Close-up of Brett's tool

I have done some hard thinking and have come to the decision that I will be painting the frame and not powder-coat. This is purely a personal decision as I want to do as much of the job as possible and this will allow me to work to my own time-frame and give me more of a feeling of personal achievement. I realise that I may stuff it up, and that it may not look as good, but the personal satisfaction will be there. I have never painted before, so I will be learning a new skill, so that is a bonus I will get from the project.

I have also decided to do the whole paint job for the bike. Ambitious? Yes. But I am not really concerned to get a 'concours' look from this, just a bike with a different look and a feeling of having done it (mostly) by myself. So now I am in the process of putting all the bits/tools together to start on the paint! I also am in the process of picking the brain of a Queensland Guzzi lover and world traveller, Rod Yeomans, who has been fantastic in giving me the benefit of his experience plus many tips to help guide me. Rod has a couple of great blog entries on his Guzzi travels through the USA and Europe over at Squadra Guzzista website as internet persona 'Morizzi'. Check them out and dare to dream!!!

Finally an honorary mention to Peter Clare from the AIGOR mailing list who came to my rescue and supplied a spacer for the rear Borrani wheel that I was having difficultly finding. AWESOME support from the Guzzi community. Thanks Peter, I owe you one.

And on it goes...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brad. Don't blame you with having a go with the paint. I did the same with the little green Monza and I'm quite proud of it! I went over to VG Autopaints in Girraween, as they have hands-on demo mornings about once a month, definitely worth it, even if it changes your mind about doing it yourself!

    Dave Pratt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. That was the place I was going to go for paint, so good call, will definately suss it out.
      Cheers - Brad

      Delete